Monday, July 20, 2009

In Memory of Our Bunny Jasmine May '04- March '09



We've had our rabbit for five years now. We got her one day when we were at the park and someone there was giving away "free rabbits". I was at the park with all the kids all by myself. My kids had been begging me for a dog for years, mind you. And there was no way I would give in to that one. I'm just not a dog person and just don't have the patience for one more thing to take care of, let alone the whole "picking up poop" issue. I was also without the support of Stu who would've helped me to say "no" to them when they begged me for this cute, adorable pet bunny. I thought to myself, "It's free, so how hard or expensive could it be to really take care of this pet?" Fifty dollars later after getting all the supplies needed to care for this animal, we were set. We made her a home in our backyard under our gazebo where it would be nice and shady. We bought her a cage and even had a baby gate corralled around her cage so she could come out and run around her cage, which she did often. The kids loved her, held her a lot the first year, and let her run around the backyard lots of times chasing her. I made her little cloth "sleeping" bags for her to fit in so the kids could hold her without getting scratched by her claws. Brittany even had a leash for her and would walk her around the yard. It was turning out to be the perfect pet. Really, it wasn't that hard to take care of. Other than moving her cage into the garage on cold, rainy nights or into the house on 100 degree summer days, she only had to be fed every couple days. The kids learned some responsibility. They learned how to clean out her cage and felt horrible when she went days without food, but Jasmine survived. We used to lock her in her cage every night so that she would be protected from predators, but eventually grew lazy of doing that, thinking she would be fine. Well, it happened....one sunny, Friday afternoon, we went out in the backyard to play and she was nowhere to be found. We searched everywhere. The kids pulled out their magnifying glasses looking for clues or signs of a struggle. They even found dandelion white fuzz and thought it was her fur. We posted signs on the gate entrance to our neighborhood, but no one called. We called the Animal Shelter and no one had turned in a rabbit. Brittany was devastated. She took it hard, but after some convincing that Jasmine probably went to find her long lost brothers to live with and was very happy to be free, Brittany got over it. We still have no idea what happened or where she is, but in a way, I am relieved to have my gazebo back where we now have a relaxing hammock to lie in.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Funny, we have a hammock on our deck too (love it). I am so sorry about Jasmine, we were at the pet store last week getting new dog tags and saw bunnies so I was showing Trevor one that "looks like Brittany's"... oops :) Great idea on the sleeping bags!!!!

Allison said...

You were a great pet, Jazzy. I'll never forget you. I guess now it's time to get Brittany that pony she's always wanted.