For those of you who don't know, who must live far enough away to not see my huge belly, we are expecting our fifth baby May 23rd, 2008. We are excited and can't wait to see and hold this sweet baby and get to know her. Her birth will bring the kid-count to 4-1 in favor of the girls. Unlike any of our other pregnancies, this one occurred without the use of the fertility drug clomid and was a complete surprise and miracle! We were in shock and it took a few months to be excited about the news.....but we couldn't be more excited now.
The first few months were horrible just like any of my other pregnancies and I couldn't wait for the second trimester where you supposedly feel much better and have more energy. Well, the second trimester came around and I was slowly overcoming the nausea but continued to feel really tired. I thought that maybe my body was just tired of making babies and getting old and that I might just not feel the same way I did with the other pregnancies. At about 30 weeks, after taking three different blood glucose tests where you have to fast for three hours, drink a nasty sugar drink, and have blood drawn four different times each test, I found out I had gestational diabetes. Knowing what my mom goes through with diabetes, it scared me and I didn't want anything to do with it. After getting some diabetic counseling, I started using a blood glucose machine and pricking my finger four times a day and eating a strict diet, and trying to exercise more. We were hoping that controlling the diet would be enough to keep my high blood sugar low enough to make me feel less tired and ultimately not effect the baby. But after a week of trying really hard, eating so well that I lost 2 pounds, and doing all that I could to lower my levels, I found out that my fasting blood sugar in the mornings were still too high. No matter how much I did to change my diet, that probably wouldn't change because of the pregnancy hormones that release sugar into the bloodstream during the morning hours. So this last Friday, I was taught how to give myself a shot of insulin and I have to do it every night. I was surprised at how easy and painless it was.....but was feeling kind of sorry for myself knowing that I had to do this for the rest of my pregnancy (about six more weeks). Anyway, I'm driving home from this appointment and decide to call the pediatrician to get blood and x-ray results for Braden.
FLASHBACK: Braden, for the last three weeks, has been having groin pain and limping every once in awhile, so we thought he had pulled a muscle and were making him take it easy (no running, no bike-riding, no jumping on the tramp, etc.). We would even wrap his leg, ice it, and give him anti-inflammatories to help with what we thought was the swelling of a pulled muscle. After weeks of this and nothing helping, we decided to bring him to the doctor. The doctor ordered blood work and x-rays.
So I'm driving home from my appointment and I call the doctor on my cell phone to see if the results were back for Braden's tests. The doctor tells me that Braden has a rare bone disease called Legg-Calve Perthes' disease and that he's going to have to go see an orthopedic surgeon who can tell us more. First of all, my cell phone reception was poor and I couldn't catch the name of the disease and even if I had, I had never heard of it before. I tell the doctor I'll call him back when I get home so I can hear him better and I call Stu right away. I could hardly tell Stu what I had heard in between my sobs. I was in shock, didn't know what to expect, had no idea what this all meant, and the pregnancy hormones got the best of me and out came the tears. Stu called the doctor and got a few more details (still not enough to satisfy me) and called me back. Anyway, that's how we found out about Braden's disease. And we still don't know what it all means really. That is the hard part....the unknown of exactly how severe it is and what treatments will be necessary. We've done some calling around to find a good orthopedic surgeon who specializes or at least knows a lot about this disease and we'll keep you posted as to what he says after our first appointment. I'm still in shock and every free moment when my thinking wanders, the phrase, "rare bone disease" keeps flashing through my head. Stu has been wonderful to take off work, do most of the talking on the phone when I couldn't handle it, and taking care of the kids the last couple of days. I couldn't ask for a more supportive and loving husband. I feel like we have already grown closer in just the past couple of days as a family. It's amazing how something like this has awakened me to a sense of gratefulness for what I do have and it really inspires me to be more patient, loving, and compassionate towards my children, spouse, family, and others around me. I am already seeing the blessings from this trial, no matter how great or small it might turn out. I'm thankful for the knowledge I have of the purpose of this life, of eternal families, and the faith that keeps us going in times of hardship.
Legg-Calve Perthes' disease is basically where there is a loss of blood flow to the ball of the hip joint and the parts of the bone dies. If caught at an early age, before or around age 6, Braden is 6 1/2, then the body will grow more bone and repair itself. 60-70% of the time, the prognosis is good and there is no lifelong affects, but in the 1-2 years of this bone dying and healing process, Braden has to take it easy and be careful not to injure himself or else the bone could heal improperly, in which there could be a lifelong limp or arthritis. We don't know the severity of it yet because we haven't seen the orthopedic surgeon yet, but we're hoping for the best and know that things will work out for good and that there is a reason that we go through trials in life. It's just hard when it is your own son and you have to wait and wonder how bad it is and what the healing process will entail. He could have to wear a brace, use crutches, or even have surgery, so we're praying for the minimal treatment necessary.
It was hard to know how to react when we got this news because we still really don't know how hard it will be. We're trying to be positive and have faith that all will work out fine and be thankful that it isn't something worse. Thank you for all your prayers, love, and support. We really feel so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends. Now if we could just get through the birth of this baby, life would be a little easier. Pregnancy is not the most ideal condition to be in when dealing with issues such as these.
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
We love you and pray for the best for you and all the members of your sweet, sweet family. Braden is a really smart, brave boy and he will do great a learn some wonderful things to help him through his whole life.
Hey Lowes...way to go on the blog thing! I couldn't be prouder! :) j/k.
We love you guys so much and you are all in our prayers. We'll talk to you soon!
-Steve, Dani & Boys
Deb, I am SO happy that you logged in to blogland!!! Your blog name is awesome :)
We really miss you guys. I am so happy about new baby Lowe arriving soon but sad that you have to give yourself shots (!).
I'm in shock about Braden :( Bless hit heart. Keep us posted on how he's doing. We will pray that he has the strength that he needs for this challenge.
Hang in there. Love, ~Jeannie
Braden we love you so much and we are praying for you all the time! We miss you all and can't wait until we can come back to CA to see you guys and the new baby! I am so excited you started a blog!
Where are the pictures!!!! Hey guys we love you very much. Brianna has a friend that has Perthes. You can call her, she actually did a paper on it. 612-363-8337. Love you all!!
We're praying for Braden, and all of you. This is a lot to take on -- a new baby and Braden's health problem together. I can't think of a hard situation that I've ever wanted, or that didn't have some blessings coming with it. Hope it will be the same for you. Love you,
I am on hand to give Braden piggy-back rides anywhere and everywhere he needs to go. I also volunteer for anything else that might be helpful (enchiladas, hugs, baby-sitting, etc.)
Post a Comment